Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Identity - by Milan Kundera (Review)

IdentityIdentity by Milan Kundera

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Wonderfully thought provoking, typical of Milan Kundera's writing. A small yet powerful novella packed with questions over how we define our identity and what determines who we are. When the foundations of how we perceive and define ourselves begin to shake, Kundera suggests a chaos is bound to ensue. His depiction of theorizing, thinking and non-conforming characters captures the rationale behind that chaos brilliantly.

That's for the 3 stars.

The remaining 2 stars, no matter how much it hurts me, I would keep from one of my favorite authors on this book. Why? Just for the ending that I found too abrupt, too quick. Like driving a knife through the plot and bleeding its potency out.

Loved the dream sequence at the climax, but was just left asking for more of Kundera in the ending. Unlike his other works, where he labors tirelessly to tie in all the lose ends and take the final leap of theoretical deduction in human behavior, this one lacks a polished ending.



View all my reviews

No comments: