Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Cuckoo's Calling: A Review

The Cuckoo's Calling (Cormoran Strike, #1)The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith

My rating: 2 of 5 stars


JK Rowling brings out her troubled and broken (physically and mentally) detective Strike in this first book of a series. I found nothing truly unique in the detective story.

That being said, it does endeavor to bring out the lives of modelling and the industry's burden on individuals. The conflicts within the individuals that come with the public and media eye on a chosen few at all times.

The book does not bring London to life, as well as I thought it could be done. As well as the back jacket proclaims to. Probably the only thing that I found could have been done better. There are no threads to pick on apart from Strike's personal life and the plot itself.

The state of mind of the protagonist, however, was very well written and I could relate to Strike as the story progressed. Even the mystery itself was well written but seemed contrived at some points. Also, a few loop holes suddenly turned the reading experience slightly sour for me.

However, the book has Rowling's stamp all over the book which is why I picked it up in the first place.



View all my reviews

No comments: